Thursday, May 20, 2010

Injustice

This morning, I saw my very first Anti-Gay-Marriage-In-MN commercial on TV. Apparently there has been a lawsuit filed by a couple seeking the right to get married in Minnesota. I anticipate that there will be many more commercials to come. Now, I am typically not an angry person. I am well aware that injustice is alive and well in our world. It makes me sad. It occasionally shocks me. Sometimes I am outraged. But never have I felt personally attacked or angered to my very core. The more I think about the commercial I saw on TV this morning, the angrier I become. When the conservative religious right brought their message of intolerance into my living room, they crossed a line. My children will see these commercials. My family will be subjected to false assumptions and misjudgements about our life while we are trying to relax and watch TV in our own home. It is not right. It is not fair.

Who are these people to judge my life? Why should anyone be allowed to vote on the validity of my relationship? What kind of arrogance makes a person think their marriage is superior to mine? Ruanita and I have been together for twelve years and have three beautiful children. We have the mortgage, the minivan, the cat. We go to work every day. We pay taxes. We sit down and do homework with our son. We attend National Night Out with our neighbors. We are contributing members of society. We are the epitome of the committed couple. Why should some average Joe on the street (the divorced drunk deadbeat dad, no less!) be allowed to vote to "approve" my relationship? What the hell?! How about I vote on your marriage? How about I decide if you have the right to have children? How about I vote to decide if you have the right to see your husband or wife in the hospital? How about I vote to decide if you can be fired from your job or denied an apartment because of your relationship? How about I tell your children that his parents are deviants? How about I air a commercial in your living room telling your child that her family should not exist? Sounds ludicrous, huh? Unacceptable? Unjust? Reprehensible? Yea.........it is.

1 comments:

Jenni Hodges said...

I'm sorry for what you saw. I hear ya though b/c a few years ago it was put on the ballot here to make gay marriage unconstitutional and it passed with flying colors. Way to go KY

Post a Comment