Thursday, December 09, 2010

Sick

I'm sick. It never fails that someone gets sick at the holidays. Usually it is one of the kids, opening their presents Christmas morning from their gagging and hacking horizontal perch on the living room couch. We missed out on seeing Santa the year before last on Christmas Eve because Lucas was turning green as we waited in line. As of right now, all of the kids are healthy. However, we still have sixteen days for one of them to develop a holiday-crushing illness. I am certain it will happen.

For right now, however, I am the sick one. Yesterday, I spent the last hour of work in the bathroom throwing up. I don't think I have a stomach bug, however. I just have so much gunk sliding down the back of my throat that it is making me gag. I apologize for the nasty details. I will not expound on them. Suffice it to say that I feel like crap today. Right when I have no less than 150 things to do to prepare for the holidays. And I feel like doing nothing but curling up in bed and sleeping for days. However, here I am sitting at my desk at work. How's that for dedication? Actually, I have exactly zero dedication to this place. One of my coworkers has been out for two weeks in the hospital with pneumonia and another one is in Vegas on a vacation trip. I work for a small company and there are four people on my team. With two of them out, we are more than a little short-staffed. There is no way I could have stayed home today. It's not fair, but it is reality. So here I sit....hoping and praying that there is not another lengthy trip to the bathroom on my agenda for today.

Nice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment