Friday, September 17, 2010

My Week of Woes

Hmmm....What to write about today? Nothing new or exciting is happening. It's been a long week. An excruciatingly long week. Have you ever had one of those weeks when nothing seems to go your way? Work is driving you insane. You're fighting with your spouse. Your children seem particularly ungrateful and spoiled. You get a six-inch long needle jammed into a part of your body that should never be subjected to an injection and spend the week hobbling around on a black and blue foot. You lose two games in a row of Scrabble to your mother (previously unheard of!) due to your head being on the above-mentioned issues rather than the game. You feel fat and frumpy and inept and underrated and unappreciated. That has been the week that I just endured.

In my family's and employer's defense, most of the issues I had this week were self-inflicted. Work is work. Nothing has changed except my attitude. The same issues (and there are definitely issues) that previously rolled off my back have been irritating and eating at me this week. Every person I encountered got on my nerves. Customers annoyed me to the depths of my psyche. My coworkers were one brief comment away from being shoved out the window. I could have made it look like an accident. It took all the inner strength I could summon to sit at my desk and do my work this week. It is all about attitude. I admit it. I had a bad attitude this week.

In addition to my issues at work, I initiated the fights with Ruanita. I don't know why. I was just feeling unappreciated, which is ridiculous because Ruanita appreciates everything I do. I just don't always hear how much she appreciates me since I rarely see her. In actuality, my fight was with our schedule. However, you can't really fight something as intangible as a schedule. So, in my infinite wisdom, I quarreled with Ruanita instead. Sorry, honey. It wasn't you. It was me.

My kids didn't really do anything "bad" this week, either. They were the same kids they were last week when I adored them to no end. Again, it was my attitude. My frustrations spilling over onto their poor, innocent little heads. Yes, they are ungrateful. Yes, they are spoiled. Yes, they are demanding and time-consuming and all-encompassing. But they are children. It is their job to suck every last bit of life out of my body. They are good at their job. I would even go as far as to say that they excel in their profession. Typically, I do not mind. I worship my children and love spending time with them.....usually. This week, not so much. Again, my problem. Not theirs.

My foot is not a situation I created. For once, I am not the problem this time. Well, I guess I am the problem since the issue is with my body, but....whatever. It is not a situation I created in my twisted little brain. At this point, I am ready to cut my foot off and hurl it out the window with my "accidentally" extinguished coworkers. However, after the crabbiness I have forced them to endure this week, I am not feeling confident that my coworkers would call an ambulance for me. So perhaps I should wait and cut my foot off in a more amicable setting.

As for the two unfortunate Scrabble games with my mother...I don't really know what to say. I should give my mom appropriate props and say that she won because she greatly improved her game. However, in all honestly, I must admit that my head was not in the game. I was quarreling with Ruanita at the time and simply had other things on my mind, as evidenced by my inability to put together a word longer than four letters the entire game. Sorry mom...you are improving. However, not enough to beat me twice in a row when I am in my correct mind.

So....today is Friday. The weekend is upon us. I have two days of reprieve from work and from our exhausting schedule. I am hoping two days is enough to re-energize me and get my head back to it's typical sunny disposition. I guess we'll have to wait and see how that goes.....

0 comments:

Post a Comment