Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Dumbfounded....

Okay all of you moms out there...when was the last time your children gave you a "What the hell?!?!" moment. When was the last time you were completely thrown for a loop? I can now officially say mine was this afternoon. I pulled up in front of the house this afternoon after getting off work. I said a quick hello and goodbye to Ruanita as she got in the car to head off to her job. I walked into the house like I do every day and found Nicholas sitting on the living room floor. He immediately began chattering away at me the moment I walked across the threshold. As he was babbling on about who knows what, I realized that Sophie was not in the living room. "Where is your sister?" I asked Nicholas. Right then, Sophie's head popped up from behind the end table. "I'm back here, momma." She had a strangely covert smile on her face. She was most certainly up to something. Something no good, for sure. As she stepped out from behind the end table, she giggled a bit and said, "Momma...I kind of peed back there." What the hell?! Did I hear her correctly? "What do you mean you peed back there?" I demanded. "Umm....I peed on the floor. Right there. On the floor." The entire time Sophie was explaining what she did, she was sporting a devilish little grin...this was most certainly no accident! I was livid. This child is four years old! She has been potty trained for ages! I immediately made her clean up the puddle of pee that was on the floor behind the end table, then I changed her clothes. The entire time, I scolded her. "This is crazy, Sophie!" "What were you thinking?" "I can't believe you did that!" "Four-year-olds do not squat behind the furniture and pee on the floor!" And what was my daughter's response? How did Sophie justify her actions? She said, "But four-year-olds have accidents sometimes." No remorse. No guilt. Again....what the hell?!? Yes, Sophie. Four-year-olds may have accidents. There may be times when a four-year-old does not make it to the bathroom in time. A four-year-old may accidentally pee en route to the toilet. However, a four-year-old, under no circumstances, squats behind the furniture and pees on the floor! That is not an accident. That is a premeditated crime against your mother!

I am completely dumbfounded.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Hum, this post seems somewhat familiar...

I just had a moment like that when I went to get Audrey up from her nap (where she of course didn't sleep) and found she had written all over her wall. With what? Her grandma had just given her a little box of hair ties. In the bottom of the box was a long forgotten cone of black colored incense. I could scream. Now she's vandalized my walls with red crayon (in the playroom), blue chalk (in the living room) and now black incense. Perhaps I should be thankful she hasn't gone for poo media.

Jen said...

LOL!!! I have "What The Hell" moments multiple times a day with 4 teenagers, I swear they do not use their brain... O girl you just wait ;)

Post a Comment