Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The sounds of silence...

I am sitting here all alone in my living room listening to the thunder storm outside. It's not a violent storm. Just the occasional rumblings of thunder and the sound of rain falling. It's a quiet storm...my favorite kind. Aside from these sounds, my house it totally silent. The kids are nestled all snug in their beds. The cat is snoozing peacefully curled up next to my thigh. Ruanita is at work. The TV is turned off. The dishwasher is silent. Even the refrigerator has quieted it's usual loud rattling. I so very seldom experience silence in my life that it is almost deafening right now. Many people may not even notice silence when they experience it. They are used to it. Unfortunately, I am not one of these people. Ask anyone who has ever been to my house and they will absolutely tell you that the term "silent" has never been a word used to describe my house...or my life, for that matter. My house is typically filled with the sounds of kids crying...or laughing....or screaming. Someone is always shouting that they do not like someone else. The TV is usually blaring some random PBS cartoon. Toilets are constantly flushing...why these people have the need to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes, I have no clue. You get the picture....my house is far from quiet. So as I sit here, I am struck by how peaceful silence can be. It is almost as though silence becomes it's own entity. A welcome guest in my home. An old friend I haven't seen in a long time. As I sit here reminiscing with my old friend silence, I feel as though my mind can relax. In the noiselessness, I can quiet the voice in my head that is constantly telling me that I need to move...I need to do...I need to go....I need to accomplish chores and check off to-do items from my ever-expanding list. In the silence, I can just sit and be. I think I could get used to this. I think I may sit here for a while...soak it in while I can. I know that it will not last.

0 comments:

Post a Comment