Friday, May 14, 2010

The Dress

I love how children are always ready to prove you wrong at every turn. In my blog entry a few days ago, I described Sophie as a "hellion." Since I posted that, she has been nothing but an angel....a pure joy to behold. What's up with that?! It's odd, to say the least.

Mother/daughter relationships may be complicated, but there are moments that are pure unadulterated delight. I recently bought a dress for my cousin's wedding next month. I also got shoes and a necklace/earrings to go with it. I had to take the kids to the store with me on Wednesday to exchange something. When we got home from the store with my dress and all the accessories in hand, Sophie excitedly begged me to try it on. The boys, of course, had no interested in how mommy looked in her new dress. I left them staring at the television screen while Sophie and I trotted upstairs to try on my dress. Sophie's excitement was practically palpable and she was smiling the biggest smile I had ever seen. While I was getting dressed, she held the necklace and earrings, caressing them lovingly and telling me how beautiful they were. They are cheap costume jewelry....nothing fancy at all. But Sophie thought they were the grandest jewels she had ever seen. Once I was all decked out in dress, shoes, and jewelry, Sophie giggled. "Momma, you look like a princess!" Contrary to what you might think, I'm not often told that I look like a princess. So Sophie definitely won me over with that comment. She excitedly announced that we needed to go downstairs and show the boys. The boys muttered, "pretty, momma" kind of half-heartedly, never taking their eyes from the TV screen. Only my little girl understood that momma in a dress was a pretty big deal. I do so love that little girl!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is precious!

Jenn

Jen said...

Very Cute... Now I wanna see this dress, lol

Post a Comment