Friday, May 14, 2010

Glorious May 15th!


Tomorrow is Ruanita's birthday. As a birthday present to her....and more importantly, a present to our relationship....we are spending a night away from the kids tomorrow night. My mom and sister have graciously agreed to spend the night at our house with the kiddos while Ruanita and I go away for the evening. We aren't going very far, but you would think we were heading to Aruba as excited as I am about this.

Tomorrow afternoon, after having Dairy Queen ice cream cake to celebrate with the kiddos, Ruanita and I will be leaving them in the loving care of their auntie and grandma and checking into our favorite hotel in downtown Minneapolis...the Grand Hotel. I love that place. Ruanita and I will typically splurge once a year and spend an evening at the Grand Hotel. We like to pretend we are disgustingly wealthy and living the high life. The Grand Hotel is a great place to live the high life. From the minute we arrive, we will be indulging in one pleasure after another.

It begins with valet parking. We independently wealthy people cannot be bothered with parking ramps. We also can't be bothered with opening doors for ourselves, hence the appearance of the doorman who will open the door for us, tip his hat, and greet us with a "Good afternoon, ma'am." In the lobby, we will check in and receive the key card to our home away from home. No doubt our room with be plush and beautifully decorated. We will settle in as chocolate-covered strawberries and champagne are delivered to our door. Ruanita will eat the strawberries while I hit the champagne. We will then take turns retiring to the bathroom and its deep-soaking tub, complete with built-in television in the wall above the tub. Cable!! Once a year we have cable and I intend to suck it up. I plan on spending a minimum of two hours soaking in the sweet-smelling bubbles, champagne glass sitting on the edge of the tub, watching The Food Network. Cook me up something tasty, Paula Dean! While Ruanita has her soak in the tub, I will hit the mini-bar with wanton abandon. After all, independently wealthy people have no problem spending $6 on a soda or $10 for a small package of nuts. Right? After our afternoon of alternating tub time, we will have dinner. We have yet to decide if we will order room service or go out to dinner. Some of our favorite restaurants are downtown. Then again, it might be nice to lounge in our jammies and the hotel-supplied silk robes (heaven!) and have dinner delivered to us via room service. I am leaning toward pajamas and silk robes. Either way, however, it will be a sheer joy to eat a meal without a child sitting in my lap, eating off of my plate, or inevitably spilling milk on my food. And not a chicken nugget in sight! Ahhhh...grown-up splendor. And did I mention breakfast in bed? The Grand Hotel has THE BEST breakfast in town. I think I am looking forward to breakfast in bed more than anything. After sleeping in and having a leisurely breakfast while reading the newspaper, I am sure we will inevitably decide that we miss the kids and we will likely check out hours before check-out time to head home to our rowdy brood. However, we will head home feeling refreshed and reinvigorated. Of course, that will probably last all of an hour or two. Even for those couple of hours, however, it will have been money well spent. I love the Grand Hotel...my home away from home. I should have been a trust fund girl. I could totally pull off "filthy rich."

1 comments:

Jen said...

Oooo man it sounds lovely... wish my husband would take me somewhere like this, gosh we NEED a nights get a way! I'm sooooo ready to ship all The Teenager off for the weekend so we can have the whole house to ourselves! Hummmm I need to really plan and make this happen :)

Have a nice night away :)

Post a Comment