Monday, May 10, 2010

The boy who was raised by idiots....

My poor, poor children. They have the unfortunate luck of being born to a couple of idiots. That's right....Ruanita and I are nothing short of blubbering idiots.

I was sitting at work this morning about 7:30am when my phone rang. I could tell by the number that it was Lucas' school calling. Unfortunately, I was on a phone call and could not pick up the other line. I expected to have another long, rambling message on my voicemail about the retirement of the principle at Lucas' school. Instead, my phone lit up almost immediately indicating that I had a message. Nice, I thought. A short message for once. When I listened to the message, I could not believe what I heard. Ruanita dropped Lucas off at school this morning as she does every morning. Unfortunately, there happened to be no school today. Nicely done, moms. Nicely done, indeed.

I called Ruanita at home to inform her of the news. She said that she had wondered to herself this morning where the usual fourth-grade crossing guards were....and why were so few parents there dropping off their kids? And by the way....where were the school buses? She had quietly wondered this to herself and even momentarily contemplated going back to check and make sure school was in session. However, she decided that between the two of us, one of us would most certainly have realized if there was no school today. We're not total morons after all....right? So she kept on going...right on home.

Lucas' response? He said that he cried a little when he saw Ruanita driving away. He hung out in the office coloring until she came back to get him. By the time they got back home, he was fine. He excitedly put his pajamas back on and chattered happily about what he would do with his unexpected day off. I can guarantee you that it consisted of Bionicles, Yu-Gi-Oh cards, and PBS cartoons. At least he did not appear to be too terribly traumatized. After everything was said and done, he told Ruanita, "At least I have something to share in our Monday Meeting now!" Apparently, his class starts every week by going around the group and sharing what they did over the weekend. So....Lucas will be sharing that his mothers are imbeciles. Nice of him to advertise it, I think. At least I don't have to write that pesky Mother of the Year acceptance speech now. That's one thing I can cross off of my To-Do list.

0 comments:

Post a Comment