Sunday, April 04, 2010

Easter, Glorious Easter!


What a glorious Easter! I woke up at 6:00 this morning with Lucas standing over me, excitedly informing me that the Easter Bunny has visited. Sophie was already in our bed, so she immediately popped up, wide awake. Nicholas was still asleep in his bed downstairs...a situation Lucas quickly and loudly remedied. The kids were more than a little excited about their Easter baskets. Lucas almost immediately announced that this was the best Easter he had ever had in all of his seven years of life. The Easter Bunny had brought him a small Star Wars Lego set. He spent the next thirty minutes ignoring everything else in his basket, putting together his Lego. Sophie, in typical fashion, immediately tore into her candy. She filled her mouth with Starburst jelly beans (mommy's favorite) with what I can only assume was superhuman speed. Nicholas was enamored of the Play-Doh set that the Easter Bunny, in his infinite wisdom, had brought the twins. Deranged rabbit! We sat around the kitchen table having candy for breakfast, pounding Play-Doh, and enjoying each other's company until we reluctantly had to start getting ready to go to my mom's house.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Having ran out of time last night, I had to iron the kids' Easter outfits this morning. Sophie followed me upstairs to my room, caressing her dress as though it were made of spun gold. I sat up the ironing board and went about the task of ironing while Sophie watched me. Within a few minutes of me starting on her dress, she looked at me suspiciously and asked, "Mom, are you sure you know what you are doing?" Apparently, the child has not seen me iron anything in quite a while and had NO confidence in my skills.

Photobucket

Ruanita and I dressed ourselves first, so as to shorten the amount of time the kids had available to get dirty. Knowing my kids, they would find a way to get dirty before we left the house. We then dressed the kids. Sophie was beautiful in her blue flowered dress. She looked like a princess and was was so very excited about her dress. She repeatedly said, "I think grandma will love my dress. I think grandma will think I am beautiful." I expected Sophie to be beautiful...she always is...but I was struck by how absolutely handsome my boys had become. In the past year, they have morphed from babies to these gorgeous little men. Dressed in their nicely-pressed oxford shirts and khakis, they were a sight to behold. My suave little men. My elegant boys. Being unaccustomed to dressing up, Lucas commented that he thought they looked like Irish dancers. He and Nicky then proceeded to do their rendition of Riverdance....over and over. All day. Apparently, I need to dress them up more often.

Photobucket
Photobucket

The ride out to grandma's house in Hastings was a pleasant one. Ruanita and I stopped at Caribou on the way and got some coffee for the ride. Well, I got coffee. Ruanita is one of those poor, demented souls who does not drink coffee. She had a fruit smoothie...weird. Caribou is open on Easter Sunday...open on Christmas Day....open any and every day of the year to provide me with a few drops of caffeinated heaven when I need it most. I do SO love Caribou.

On the way to Hastings, I tried talking to the children. I asked them if they were excited. I outlined the things that I knew grandma would have planned for them. I talked about what the Easter Bunny brought them. All of my attempts at stimulating conversation were met with silent stares from the back seat. Finally Lucas, the anointed spokesperson for the Pierce-Ralph kids, gave me a sympathetic "yea." After that, I just turned the radio up. I don't know why I try to engage my children.

My mom's house was a feast of fun for the kids. There were presents from grandma. Strangely, I do not recall getting presents on Easter Sunday when I was a kid. I'm not bitter or anything, though....I'm just saying. Presents were followed by an Easter egg hunt in the back yard. The weather was beautiful and sunny. The kids had a blast searching out little plastic eggs full of a multitude of teeth-decaying treats. Sophie did, however, find an egg with a $5 bill in it. When I was a kid, we were lucky if we found a dime in our eggs! Again, I am not bitter. Following the egg hunt, my mom presented each of the children with a can of silly string and bubbles. Better her yard than mine.

Photobucket
Photobucket

We then had a wonderful ham dinner and just sat around enjoying each other's company. I ate something that did not agree with me and that resulted in rolling stomach cramps right as we were getting ready to leave mom's house. Ruanita drove home while I sat in the passenger seat clutching the door and wincing the entire way. Amazingly though, whatever it was that was causing my gastrointestinal discomfort resolved itself shortly after getting home. Perhaps my 37-year-old stomach was objecting to the jelly bean breakfast?

The afternoon was spent coloring with the kids, playing the Wii, and creating impressive Play-Doh sculptures. Ruanita and I found the time in the afternoon to take turns napping upstairs....all alone. A definite Easter miracle! All in all, a wonderful Easter was had by all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment