Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Capacity to Forget

I am feeling better today than I was last night. I have come to the conclusion that last night was a culmination of several days of poor sleep, a head cold I've been cultivating, the piles and piles of laundry I had just folded and put away (a task that I cannot stand!), that infamous time of the month, and being cooped up in the house on a rainy, dreary day. Like waking up on the bathroom floor after an all-night bender (not that I know anything about that), I am going to pretend that last night did not happen....put this incident behind me, out of my mind...not fret over it. I don't think I've scarred my children for life. And besides...if their mother yelling at them is the worst thing that ever happens to them in life, I think they will be A-O-K. It's a new day. I am at work right now, but I am determined to have a pleasant afternoon with my beautiful children when I get home....come hell or high water, it WILL be pleasant! I have a bit of a headache today, so I am going to rest and relax rather than trying to accomplish 700 chores in the course of one afternoon. My children can pick up on my stress level, which could easily have contributed to their bad behavior yesterday. So...I am going to forget their bad behavior and I am going to forget my bad behavior. Sometimes, particularly as a parent, the capacity to forget is more valuable than the ability to remember.

0 comments:

Post a Comment