Friday, February 12, 2010

Olympic Fever


Tonight is the opening ceremonies of the winter Olympics. I have to admit that I am really excited. Two years ago, Lucas and I sat up and watched every single minute of the opening ceremonies in Beijing. Lucas was totally enthralled. The pageantry...the music...the drums. We were glued to the television for days. We watched every sport that we could. Lucas found a new hero at those Olympics....Michael Phelps. For a solid year after that, he kept telling me that he was going to be the next Michael Phelps. Considering that the boy does not have an athletic bone in is body, I felt a little twinge of guilt encouraging him. But encourage him, I did. I spent all summer that year at the local wading pool watching Lucas imitate Michael Phelps...well, except for the inner tube and water wings...and the snorkel and gigantic goggles. And the fact that he held his nose in the water...that kind of took away from his athletic mystique. Regardless, it was exciting to see him captivated by a sport and enchanted by an athlete.

I look forward to finding out which sport will excite him this time around. Perhaps we will have to buy a snow board? Or sign him up for ice skating lessons? Or, heaven forbid...curling lessons? Whatever it ends up being that grabs his attention, I can't wait to see the gleam in his eyes and the enthusiasm in his voice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment