Saturday, February 27, 2010

And so it comes to an end....

What am I supposed to do for a babysitter now that the Olympics are coming to a close? For the past two weeks, I have been able to leave my children in the the living room in the evening with no worries whatsoever about them seeing something inappropriate on the TV. It's been so nice. I haven't had to monitor what was on TV at all....I haven't had to change the channel a single time. I've been able to bop around the house getting my chores done with no worries. I've been able to update my Facebook status....write in my blog. Read a few magazines. Chat on the phone. It's been heavenly.

I think watching sports is great for kids. Children are exposed to good sportsmanship. They see people who have worked hard their entire lives reach monumental goals....the pay-off of hard work and dedication. Occasionally there is the agony of defeat which, though hard to watch at times, is a fact of life and good lesson to learn. The Olympics, particularly, teaches children about other countries....that there are people in this world living very different lives, but who can come together in the spirit of sportsmanship and goodwill. Of course, there are the frequent beer commericals, but that's ok. My children are well-versed in beer (oh yea...and understand that it is a grown-up drink).

So that brings me back to the question of the day....what am I supposed to do now that the Olympics are ending?? I am going to have to go back to entertaining my children in the evening. I am going to have to limit TV time and monitor what they watch like a responsible parent. I am going to have to...gulp...play with them. Gone are my free-wheeling days of hedonistic pleasure. It was good while it lasted.

0 comments:

Post a Comment