Tuesday, February 23, 2021


What? The? Actual? Fuck?

Okay, I am feeling a bit angry today. And sad. And a tad defeated.

Last week, my baby brother was diagnosed with Stage 2 testicular cancer that has spread to the surrounding lymph nodes. He is officially the 4th person in my 6-person immediate family to be diagnosed with cancer. First my dad had brain cancer that killed him within a year of diagnosis when I was eleven years old. Then I was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer at age 44 and lost an entire year of my life to treatment and I am still dealing with the aftermath on a daily basis. Then one year – almost to the day – after my diagnosis, my mom was diagnosed with Stage 1 breast cancer and went through painful surgery and radiation.  Now my brother is preparing to undergo a second surgery (he’s already had the testicle removed) to remove the affected lymph nodes, followed by possible chemo. Or radiation? We do not know yet because he is stuck in the infernal cancer holding pattern. Waiting for news. Waiting for a call. Waiting for an appointment. Waiting for a prognosis. Waiting for the shit that will fuck up his life for months to come to get started already for fuck’s sake so there will be an end in sight at some point in the distant future.

We’ve been genetically tested. Yep, both my mom and I were fully tested. There appears to be no genetic markers for cancer in my family. So what’s the deal? 66% of my family gets cancer (so far) and it’s just a fluke? Are we cursed? Does the Ralph family just have laughably horrible luck? Is cancer particularly fond of us? I mean we’re cute and all. But come on, leave us alone.

I don’t know. Honestly, I do not even know why I am writing this blog today. I am just feeling an intense sense of outrage on my brother’s behalf. I want to scream into the abyss about the unfairness of it all. He’s only 41 years old. He has two small children. He is in the process of selling his house. He has so much on his plate right now that cancer is the very last thing he should be thinking about.  But that’s what cancer does. It strikes you in your prime. It stalks you and attacks when you least expect it. I don’t think anyone ever sees it coming.

Here’s the other thing with cancer. Once it’s got you, it never let’s go. I am cancer free right now. Have been for four years. In December of this year, I will hit the five-year mark of being cancer free, which supposedly is a big deal because most cancers, if they are going to come back, will do so within the first five years.

But it doesn’t matter than I am officially cancer free because I still live with cancer every day. My cancer was in all three levels of my lymph nodes. My surgeon was only able to take out two levels (apparently, your body needs at least one level of lymph nodes in that area) which means that after my double mastectomy, I still had cancer in my lymph nodes. I underwent six weeks of grueling every-day radiation afterwards and then my oncologist declared me cancer free. Not in remission – he does not use that word – but cancer free.

For the moment.

But here’s the thing – cancer cells are tiny. Itsy bitsy little pieces of shit. How do I know that one tiny cell did not break off and decide to go on an excursion to Organtown. To my lungs? My liver? My bones? Or most terrifying of all, to my brain? I live every day with the thought that any minute now the cancer will take hold again. Every little ache is proof positive in my mind of bone cancer. Every cough is lung cancer. Every forgotten word – and I forget a lot of words – is brain cancer. The psychological fallout of cancer is even more insidious than the physical effects.

But I do have physical effects. I have pain. Pain that affects me every day. My scar hurts. And it itches. A deep, deep itch. But my armpit on that side is still numb four years later. You can’t scratch numb tissue. It just doesn’t work. So I live with the itch. My left arm aches. My hands and feet fall asleep from chemo-induced neuropathy. My feet hurt constantly.

I try to pretend I am fine. That I am “over it.” But that’s a lie. I am content, but not fine. I try to live my best life. I try to make the most of the life that was gifted to me – and I do consider my four years cancer-free a gift for which I haven’t quite decided if I am worthy yet – when so many others have died from the same disease. So many people were given the same diagnosis as me. Went through the same treatment as me and did not come out the other side. There is no rhyme or reason to my survival and others’ demise. Cancer takes and takes and takes. And I will live with the fear of a recurrence every day for the rest of my life.

As does my mom. And now as will my brother.

Cancer is shit.

Can’t it just leave us alone?

Please.

2 comments:

Anne Kruchten said...

I'm so sorry. And I totally get it. The lifelong paranoia can be unbearable. Sending you all the good mojo I've got.

CLARA DAVID said...

WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to search for cancer cure so that was how I found a lady called Peter Lizzy. She was testifying to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kinds of disease and the herbal man's email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_dr_sakura for my younger sister's help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2348110114739 visit his website https://www.instagram.com/herbalist_sakurahttps://web.facebook.com/herbalistsakura/ https://drsakurahealthclinic.wixsite.com/website https://sites.google.com/view/herbalistsakura https://drsakuraspellcentre.blogspot.com/ https://drsakuraspellcentre.wordpress.com/ for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com

Post a Comment