Monday, October 18, 2010

Christmas Shopping! Woo-hoo!

Ruanita and I officially started our Christmas shopping yesterday. Last year, we were essentially finished by Halloween. This year, I've bought a couple of small odds and ends, but we have yet to really start whole-heartedly stocking up. That is, until yesterday.

When I went to Target yesterday to do our bi-weekly grocery shopping. I bought a few toys for the kids. Most notably, I bought the boys that perennial classic, Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots. I think Ruanita is more excited to play it than the boys will ever be. She has just enough aggression bubbling under the surface to be a Rock 'Em Sock 'Em rock star! For Sophie, I picked up a pair of pink cowboy boots. She has the pink cowboy hat and pink stick pony at home. The boots simply complete the ensemble. My little cowgirl is going to be thrilled!

For all three kids, I bought the game Sorry. I remember playing this game as a child. As a matter of fact, I remember one particularly rainy Sunday afternoon when I was probably nine or ten years old. My sister Amy and I spent the entire day playing Sorry with my dad. We called it the Ultimate Sorry Championship. We had to have played a dozen games that day. I doubt my children will grow up to have my obsession with board games. However, just yesterday Ruanita and I were talking about instituting a family game night. Turning off the TV and sitting around the kitchen table playing games. That is this nerd's idea of a grand old time! I am sure the kids will protest enthusiastically. However, Sophie did just tell me this weekend that she is going to play Scrabble like grandma and I do when she grows up. And of course, she insists she is going to beat me. Dream on, little girl!

Last night, after the kids were safely tucked into their beds, Ruanita and I did some online shopping, as well. I love, love, LOVE shopping online. There is nothing better than perusing page after page of beautiful doodads and doohickeys in the comfort of your jammies and socked feet. Lucas and Nicholas want some new Wii games for Christmas. Specifically, they want Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games and Mario Galaxy 2. Perhaps I am a Scrooge. Or perhaps I am a penny-pinching miser. Whatever you want to call me, I think $50 for a Wii game is ludicrous. Actually, I don't think it is ludicrous, generally speaking. I would have no problem paying $140 for a Kindle (hint, hint, Ruanita). I do, however, think it is ludicrous to pay $100 for two video games for a four-year-old and a seven-year-old. Especially when we are trying to curb their gaming habits.

So, did we buy them? No, we did not. Ruanita and I made the executive decision that we would buy the boys new Wii games for Christmas. However, they will be receiving cheaper games. That's right, we did the ultimate mean mom bait and switch. We found Sonic Unleashed online for $14.99. Lucas loves Sonic, so that is what he will be getting. We also found a Cars Wii game for $19.99. That will be Nicholas' gift. Honestly, I believe they will enjoy having something to play other than Mario. At least that is what I am telling myself.

We are nowhere near finished with our Christmas shopping, but it feels great to have started. I am already humming Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. Ah...the holidays. That most revered time of year. That time when families join together to bicker and eat and gossip and eat and squabble and scuffle and tussle...and eat. That time of year when the air abounds with the scents of cinnamon and pumpkin and turkey and disappointment and thinly-veiled contempt. It truly is The Most Wonderful Time of the Year.

(Disclaimer: Ok...I jest. There is no contempt in my family. I feel nothing but overwhelming love and adoration for my family. Despite their many flaws, there is no family anywhere in the world I would rather be a part of than my own disfunctional clan.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment