Friday, August 13, 2010

For the love of the game.....

This Sunday evening, we are going to take our kids to a WNBA basketball game. Several of our friends are going with us. In total, we will have seven kids in attendance at the game, six of whom are four years old or younger. Should be an interesting excursion. My children have never been to a basketball game before. Their only exposure to basketball has been my family’s annual March Madness bracket challenge. The bracket challenge consists of my anxiously watching every single televised second of all of the tournament games, incessantly calling and texting my brother and sister to let them know current standings. Limitless amounts of trash talk flies from Kentucky to Minnesota and back again. This past March, Ruanita and I began referring to basketball as “church.” The kids were not allowed to interrupt when mom and momma were worshipping at the altar of college basketball. Ssshhhh...no talking during “church!” As you can imagine, the children were not completely enamored of basketball. Considering that their only exposure to basketball culminated in momma tirelessly cursing and yelling “Well, screw it!” when realizing that I no longer had any chance in hell of winning the pot, I am not surprised that my children have not developed of an affection for basketball. Lucas also informed me recently that he has no desire to watch a bunch of “girls” play basketball. Of course, the minute that comment sprang from his lips, the plans were set in stone. By God, my son WAS going to watch girls play ball! He was going to appreciate the athletic prowess of women. He was going to realize that sports are not solely the domain of men. He was going to learn that a woman can be as competitive and strong as any man out there …and dammit, he was going to like it! So…with a sudden burst of feminist outrage, we made plans to attend the last Minnesota Lynx home game of the season on Sunday evening. As I said……should be interesting.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Can't wait to read how that goes. You are brave, brave women. My plan is to not ruin my sporting events by taking small children. They have to be able to fend for themselves and NOT have to go potty every ten minutes before I'm taking them anywhere that requires a paid ticket. ;)

Shannon Ralph said...

Jessica--I didn't even consider the pottying situation! Ugh!

Post a Comment