Friday, July 02, 2010

4th of July Thanks


It's finally Friday! A 3-day weekend is finally upon us. As you are out enjoying this 4th of July weekend...the birth of our nation's independence...please take a moment to remember the men and women, veterans and active-duty, who selflessly give of themselves every day to insure that we remain a country bathed in liberty and reveling in freedom. Enjoy the sunshine with your friends and families this weekend. However, I implore you to take one small moment...one second out of your day...to say a word of thanks for everything those brave souls provide to us, behind the scenes...overworked, undercompensated, and underappreciated. Regardless of what you think about our country's military actions around the world, many of which I DO NOT agree with, we have to show proper respect and appreciation for the soldiers who keep our children safe at night.

My brother Matt is a retired Marine. Fresh out of high school, he joined the Marines to see the world and serve his country. I can't say that I was exactly a fan of his decision way back when. Little did either of us know that the events of 9/11 would occur in the midst of his tenure in the Marine Corps. After enjoying decades of relative peace, we entered a war right as my baby brother joined the military. Perfect timing, huh? He was one of the first wave of Marines shipped to Iraq after 9/11. Matt served his five years with the Marines and decided not to re-enlist. I've never talked to him about the things he encountered and the sights he witnessed in Iraq. I suspect he saw things that are unfathomable to my civilian mind. I can only guess...but I do know that he is a different man today because of the things he encountered halfway around the world, a world away from all of his family and friends. Prior to going to Iraq, my brother was a goof. A silly, beer-drinking, card-playing, fun-loving idiot. A boy who found humor in everything...a kid who always knew how to have a good time. He still knows how to have a good time. However, he is less of a little boy now. He's more serious. More cautious. More reserved. He no longer likes crowds. He can't sit with his back to a crowded room. At restaurants, he has to sit with his back to the wall. He enjoys quiet more than he ever did before. He finds himself getting anxious often. I doubt he will be heading out to see the fireworks this weekend. The "rockets red glare" probably aren't really his cup of tea any more. I suspect the "bombs bursting in air" sound a little bit too much like the real thing. Matt may not have given his life to our country (I thank God every day for that fact), but he certainly gave of himself.

So drink your beer this weekend. Fire up the grill. Eat your brats. Hang out at the beach. Watch the fireworks. Enjoy all of the freedoms you can get your hands on this weekend! When you do, however, take a moment to thank those quiet, reserved, forever "changed" men and women coming home from overseas....and the sons, daughters, moms, dads, brothers and sisters who will never come home.

1 comments:

Angie Rehnelt said...

What a touching tribute to your brother, Shannon. As I read it, my eyes filled with tears. What a brave man your brother is. I remember Shirley talking about him all the time when I used to sit next to her in Member Services. Have a wonderful weekend and I hope no more squirrels decide to come down your chimney again. I think you handled it wonderfully though! ;)

Post a Comment