Monday, May 17, 2010

The Dinner Dance

At this moment, I am preparing myself mentally to commence the dance. No, I will not be salsa dancing in my living room. There will be no breakdancing in the kitchen. Rather, I am going to attempt the "let's-get-something-for-dinner-dance" with Ruanita. She stayed home from work today because she is still not feeling well. I am feeling rather lazy this evening after having two roofing contractors and one electrician at my house most of the afternoon. I really don't feel like cooking. However, I don't want to suggest that we order something for dinner because that would make me the "weak" one in our unspoken (and sometimes way-too-overly-discussed) agreement to curb our eating out. So...rather than suggesting we get something for dinner, I have to compel Ruanita to suggest it. Hence...the dance. It goes a little something like this:

Me: Are you hungry?
Ruanita: Yea. I'm hungry.
Me: What sounds good to you?
Ruanita: I don't know. What sounds good to you.
Me: I don't know. I am just kind of tired and really would like something good for dinner.
Ruanita: OK
Me: What would you like me to cook?
Ruanita: If you're tired, I can cook.
Me: No. I'm the cook in the family. I can cook. Does anything sound good to you? (Rummaging through the cabinets and fridge as if I am looking for something to eat).
Ruanita: Not really.
Me: Ok....well, we could have bean soup (not a Ruanita favorite). Or......hmmm...we have spaghetti (again, not a favorite).
Ruanita: Really?
Me: Yea. Is there something that sounds better to you?
Ruanita: Well, what would be easy since you are tired?
Me: Ummm...nothing really. Anything I cook will take time (note the martyr undertones of my response)
Ruanita: Well, do you want to get something? Is that what you are hinting at?
Me: (with feigned shock on my face) What?! No...I wasn't hinting at anything (still rummaging through the cabinets). I can cook. What sounds good?
Ruanita: If you want to get something, I would be ok with that. I could be convinced.
Me: (Defiantly) I wasn't hinting at anything, Ruanita. I can cook.
Ruanita: No...you're tired. Why don't we get something?
Me: (sounding mockly defeated) Ok...if you want to. That's ok with me. What sounds good to you?
Ruanita: How about Chinese (or pizza or Chipotle or anything else she comes up with that we can run out and pick up)?
Me: Sure, if you want to get something for dinner, I can do that.
Ruanita: Yea...why don't we do that.
Me: OK. You talked me into it.

So there you have it. The dance. I should have been a professional dancer. Shhhh...don't tell Ruanita

UPDATE: We ordered Chinese food...Ruanita's idea.

1 comments:

Jenni Hodges said...

This is freaking hilarious!

Post a Comment