Monday, April 19, 2010

A Moment of Peace

Is it wrong to scream "Get away from me!" at one's children? Seriously...I want to know...is it bad parenting? My children have been attached to my hip this entire day. I swear, I truly believe Sophie is trying to re-insert herself into the orifice from whence she came. That portal is closed for business, girlie!! I am sitting here at the kitchen table eating a plate full of Ore-Ida french fries for dinner. Nutritious AND delicious. OK..maybe not so much nutritious. They have already been spit on by Nicholas in his attempts to "blow" on them to cool them enough to steal one from me. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, I am not above eating my own son's saliva. I've certainly done it before...though that is not something I typically discuss in public. It is 7:00pm. I have a list a mile long of chores I need to finish before I can go to bed tonight. I have to empty the dishwasher. Wash the dishes I dirtied baking a cheesecake this afternoon...a failed attempt at finding a moment of peace today. Sophie heard me get out the mixing bowls and immediately came running to "help." So much for the quiet and solace of baking. I also have to fold and put away at least one of the three baskets of clean clothes that have been sitting in my bedroom for four days now. I have to get the kids ready for bed, which most definitely falls under the "chore" heading. And finally, I have to pay all of the bills tonight before I can finally lay my head to rest on my pillow. Why then am I sitting here typing on my blog, you ask? There's a quite simple explanation. My children are in the living room. I would have to walk through the living room to get started on any of the above-mentioned chores. I do not want to walk in there and call attention to myself. I do not want them to realize that it has been a full five minutes since any of them have asked me for a single thing. I don't want to have them suddenly remember something that they need from me immediately...right now...before the world comes to a sudden and grisly ends, which it most certainly will if I do not respond to their request right away. Most importantly, however, I do not want to see the mess they have created in the living room. I don't want to know exactly how many additional chores I need to add to my list for the evening. Ignorance it bliss. I just want to sit here...eating my french fries....in a state of complete ignorance. Just a couple more minutes, kids...please.

Nicholas just ran up and grabbed my last french fry! Damn his skinny little hide!

0 comments:

Post a Comment