Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Gratitude...

I sat down to write today and was ready to go into full rant mode about the things in my life that annoy me. However, who wants to read all that negativity? I think we all run into more than our fair share of negativity in the course of a day. Instead, I've decided to make a list of things for which I am grateful. I could use a perspective shift today and perhaps this will do it for me. So, here goes...
  1. I am grateful that I have a partner who has stuck it out with me for 12 years, despite my many flaws and annoying habits.
  2. I am grateful that my twins, who were born premature, have never had a single health issue.
  3. I am grateful that my children love one other and, more important to domestic tranquility, like each other.
  4. I am grateful that I have a name that is not spelled weird. I could be Shanyn...or Shanin....or Sjannon. I always feel sorry for those poor kids with the "creatively-spelled" names.
  5. I am grateful that the firewall at work does not block Facebook. It's the only thing that gets me through the day sometimes.
  6. I am grateful for coffee..and diet pepsi....and coffee.
  7. I am grateful for pens that do not leak. I have a strange affection for pens. I love a good pen.
  8. I am grateful to have a mother who is young enough to really know my children, be a significant part of their lives, and stick around long enough to watch them grow up.
  9. I am grateful that Ruanita does most of our laundry. I do so hate laundry.
  10. I am grateful for heat in the winter...especially since my kids are of the nudist persuasion.
  11. I am grateful for being born a Southerner. I can't imagine a life without gravy and biscuits.
  12. I am grateful for the opportunity to go to a great college and get a good education. I had the time of my life there! And met some of my favorite people in the world.
  13. I am grateful for the memories of my dad, who died when I was 11. My younger sister and brother didn't have the joy of knowing him like I did. He was gone before they were old enough to create those precious memories.
  14. I am grateful that I can still pull off saying "ya'll." Yes...I've been known to say "yah" and "you betcha" after living so long in Minnesota. But I refuse to let go of "ya'll."
  15. I am grateful for my brother and my sisters. We loathed each other as children. I remember many a times losing my voice from screeching at them so loudly. I despised them...especially my sisters. But I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world today. They are my best friends.
  16. I am grateful for coming from a large family. There is something special about having to rent out the school cafeteria for family get-togethers.
  17. I am grateful for a roof over my head. It's nothing fancy, but it is homey and comfortable. And it provides we with a reason to shop on Etsy.com....every house could use a couple of new decorative touches now and again.
  18. I am grateful for snow and ice...only because it causes me to get SO VERY excited about the first flower blooming in the spring. If I didn't live through the utter hell of a Minnesota winter, I may not even notice that first bloom. I am so very grateful for the ability to appreciate that flower.
  19. I am grateful that Lucas loves science. I am getting in touch with my inner geek and I am loving it!
  20. I am grateful for PBS cartoons.
  21. I am grateful for Happy Meals....though not exactly nutritious, they are a lifesaver in a pinch.
  22. I am grateful for the internet...shopping without ever leaving your home?! I would like to shake the hand of the genius who came up with that!!
  23. I am grateful for wine. I don't have it often, but it's nice to know that it is always there for me when I need it. Like a good friend, vino is there.
  24. I am grateful for a sense of humor...without it I would be in deep doo-doo.
  25. I am grateful for memory foam. I love my bed more than a person should really love an inanimate object....and I have memory foam to thank for that.
Wow...I could go on and on. I guess I have a lot to be grateful for. I need to remember that when I feel like throttling someone. There is definitely room in my life for a little more gratitude.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you made this list. In a time when I feel like we can't catch a break, this was exactly what I needed to refocus my thoughts. Thanks Shannon! ~Mariah

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome list, Duck! I may have to do that on FB. Very good idea to write down things you are thankful for. Hmmm. Now you have got me thinking . . . - heatherw

Jen said...

I love your list and as if you cant tell already... I LOVE YOUR BLOG, heheheeeee

Post a Comment