Saturday, February 06, 2010

Cat for sale...


Anyone interested in a barely-used cat? Real cheap? Actually, I can't really sell the cat...Ruanita likes her better than she likes me. I wish I could sell the cat. She is slowly driving me insane. Last night...for the first time in many, many nights...I did not have a child in my bed. It was so nice to actually spread out on my half of the bed and sleep peacefully. Molly the cat will typically go back and forth between playing downstairs and cuddling at the foot of our bed at night. This morning, I woke up and sensed that she was at my feet. Any movement from me in the morning alerts Molly that I am awake and she immediately begins her begging-for-breakfast ritual. It goes something like this.....


I roll over...or sneeze...or scratch my arm...or perform some other innocuous movement that alerts Molly that I am, indeed, awake. She immediately begins to crawl up my body. It begins with a little scratching at my feet. If I ignore her, she will move north. Next she will climb onto my hip and begin to knead my hip as if she is making a loaf of pumpernickel out of me. Again, if I ignore her, she will continue her ascent. Next she will lay on my chest and flick her tale at my face. Surprisingly, cat hair up your nostrils is not as pleasant as it sounds. Next she will begin the head butts. She will continue head butting me until I throw her off the bed. But that does not stop her. No...she is right back on the bed in a matter of seconds, resuming her torturous dance. Next comes the licks. I can handle sloppy kid kisses. I can even handle sloppy dog kisses. Cat kisses, however, I cannot take. It's like she is sanding my face with a power sander. I probably need a good exfoliation, but I can handle that myself. Next, Molly will lay on my head purring loudly. Finally, I will relent and get up to feed her. The minute I move to get up, Molly will hop across my nightstand excitedly, knocking everything to the floor....including my glasses. So there I am...5:00 in the morning....on my hands and knees....totally blind....searching frantically for my glasses...

Yea. A pet was a great idea.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shannon, together Brooks and I have owned 7 cats. You never EVER feed the cat first thing in the morning. That is a recipe for disaster. Get her out of the habit of it. Feed her at dinner time or after you have your breakfast, but not as soon as you wake up. Please, I'm begging you, change the feeding time before you or the cat gets killed! - heatherw

Jen said...

I like the new blog look... hope it lets me post! I had a ton of cats growing up and we've had some through the years. But now I'm really not a indoor cat person, we got the 2 dogs and thats plenty for me with the 4 teenagers.......

Jen said...

YaY... it let me post! lol

Post a Comment